The MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio
A National Leader in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Services
The MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio is the largest hospital-based rehabilitation program in the state and provides inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services for patients recovering from a variety of conditions.
As part of The MetroHealth System, the MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio draws on the patient care, research, and educational resources of one of the region's major healthcare institutions.
MetroHealth Medical Center and its Level I trauma service, is a key entry point for many of our patients. Others are referred by medical facilities and providers throughout Ohio, across the country, and internationally.
Founded in 1953 as Highland View Hospital, The MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio was one of the nation's first hospitals dedicated solely to rehabilitation. Our long and focused history has allowed the MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute to develop a level of expertise that has become a regional resource and a national model.
Features of the MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio
- We have built a unique outpatient rehabilitative neighborhood called Easy Street EnvironmentsTM, a simulated community setting complete with restaurant, stores, a bank, and sidewalks for therapeutic adaptation.
- We offer patients and families seamless access to supportive community services through our philanthropically funded Benjamin S. Gerson Family Resource Center.
- The MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
- We are partnered with the internationally acclaimed Cleveland Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) Center, in collaboration with Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Stokes Veterans Administration Medical Center. Patients benefit from the use of new technologies and innovative engineering to produce movement in paralyzed limbs.
- We are one of an elite group of hospitals nationwide to achieve the coveted Magnet Status for excellence in nursing care. The Magnet designation reflects higher patient satisfaction rates, better patient outcomes, and shorter lengths of stay.
- We are integrated with the region's only Level I Trauma Center including the region's largest critical care transport service, Metro Life Flight, providing for continuity and comprehensive trauma and rehabilitative services.
- We are committed to a holistic approach to rehabilitation, featuring the oldest hospital-based art therapy program in the country. Prominent artists regularly work with patients to give expression to their experiences during rehabilitation.